Welcome to the Municipality of Yarmouth
The Municipality of the District of Yarmouth, affectionately known as MODY by the locals, is a diverse collection of communities located on the southern tip of Nova Scotia. Diversity can be found in our landscapes. The Municipality of Yarmouth boasts rugged and sandy ocean fronts, working wharves, rolling hills, old growth forests, quaint hamlets, bustling business districts and clean cottage country lakes. Diversity is found in our economy. Fishing, forestry, agriculture, light manufacturing, retail, personal services, professional services, and creative arts are a few of the sectors where vocational opportunities abound. Diversity describes the recreation and leisure offerings. Music, water sports, school and community sporting leagues, dancing, theatre, pottery, photography, wood carving, quilting and so much more are available. Diversity is celebrated in our people. With a global ethnic presence, the Municipality of Yarmouth is increasingly seen as an ideal place to put down roots, seize work/life balance opportunities and contribute to one's community.
If you'd like to explore living, working or investing in the Municipality of the District of Yarmouth, please contact the office of the CAO at 902-742-7159
.TOP NEWS STORIES
For Immediate Release
The Municipality of the District of Yarmouth Launches Project to Review the Existing Municipal Planning Strategy and Land Use Bylaw
Today, Tuesday, September 21st, 2021, the Municipality of the District of Yarmouth will be launching their Municipal Planning Strategy (MPS) and Land Use Bylaw (LUB) review process. This will be a year-long project aimed at updating the existing planning documents to reflect the goals of the community.
An MPS is the primary planning document for the Municipality which establishes the vision, goals and policies for growth and development. The LUB is a companion document that sets out the various rules and regulations pertaining to development activities. Together, the MPS and LUB shape our communities by determining what types of development can happen where.
In order to ensure an MPS and LUB that works for the community, the Municipality will work closely with residents, businesses, and other community members to determine their needs and aspirations for the future.
This collaborative community participation will be essential, and there will be many opportunities to contribute and share your thoughts, ideas and opinions over the next year, including:
- The Initial Engagement Phase will take place from October to January and will include a range of online and in-person engagement opportunities. The information collected during this phase will be summarized into an easy-to-read report that will be released in February 2022.
- During the Draft Plan Phase, the planning team will take the information from the previous phase and begin shaping the direction of the updated MPS and LUB. They will present the plan in late spring of 2022 and the public will have the opportunity to comment in early Summer 2022.
- The planning team will complete the revised MPS and LUB during the Final Plan Phase, which will take place over the Fall of 2022. The public will have the opportunity to provide any additional comments or concerns about the new planning documents at a Public Hearing held before Municipal Council.
Please visit www.planmody.ca for more information about how you can stay up to date with the project.
COVID-19 Changes to Operations
As of June 16th, 2021 the municipal offices re-opened to the public. Our office hours are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday - Friday, excluding holidays.Please note:
* You will be required to wear a mask when entering the building
* Please do not enter the building if you have ANY COVID-19 related symptoms
* Do not enter the building if you are currently awaiting COVID-19 test results
There are various ways to pay your tax bill:
* Pay by credit card by calling 1-855-288-4087
or click on the following link: https://district.yarmouth.ns.ca/index.php/municipal-operations/taxation/261-payment-by-credit-card-2
* Mail in your payment: 932 Highway #1, Hebron NS B5A 5Z5 – mailing from the Hebron post office gets it to us quicker
* Search Yarmouth (district) Taxes as a payee and pay on your online banking
* Head to your bank and pay your bill over the counter