Employment Opportunity - Full Time Position
Administrative Assistant - Municipal Services
The Municipality of Yarmouth is currently looking for a full-time permanent Administrative Assistant to join our team.
Why work for the Municipality? We offer:
* Team environment
* Competitive wage
* Comprehensive health benefits coverage
* Generous pension plan with company matching component
* Opportunities for growth and development in your career
* A commitment to a safe, diverse and inclusive workplace
About the opportunity:
The Municipality of the District of Yarmouth is looking for an experienced administrative professional to support members of our Municipal Services, Development and Public Works teams. This is a full-time position which will provide a diverse range of administrative support, including implementing administrative systems and procedures and supporting the directors in coordinating the daily activities of the departments. This position will be the main point of contact for clients and the public.
Our ideal candidate for this role will have a minimum of 2-3 years previous education and/or experience in the administrative field and be familiar with the expectations and requirements of this type of work. In addition, you will have an ease with technology, proven computer and organizational skills, and be able to take direction from multiple individuals. To be successful in this role, you will need the ability to multi-task, have excellent verbal and written communication skills, and effectively prioritize workloads. A strong service orientation is also a must as you will be greeting the public and clients.
Position Title: Administrative Assistant
Designation: Full time permanent, 6 month probation period
Reports to: Director of Municipal Services
Hours of Work: Generally Monday – Friday, 8:30 – 4:30, some evening meetings
Salary Range: $32,383 – $50,598
To provide administrative services to the Departments of Municipal Services, Development & Inspection and Public Works. This position will collaborate with the Directors of Municipal Services, Development & Inspection, and Public Works.
Health and Safety is everybody’s responsibility. The Municipality of Yarmouth values the safety of its employees and therefore requires all employees to follow safety protocols in the Occupational Health and Safety program. Employees may serve on the Occupational Health and Safety Committee.
As employees of MODY we are collectively responsible for providing a work environment that is free of workplace violence and harassment; where individuals are treated with dignity and respect; and that is safe. Maintaining a safe, respectful, professional and harassment-free workplace is everyone's responsibility. Policies guide our standards and expectations in these areas as we fulfill the duties of our positions.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
* General administrative duties for the departments of Municipal Services, Public Works, and Development & Inspection – answering phones, sorting mail, filing, issuing purchase orders, etc.
* Ensure that the public and clients are greeted promptly at the front counter and process payments and general inquiries from the public when required
* Prepare agendas and take minutes for Planning Advisory Committee
* Accept applications and payments for permits
* Maintain Development procedure binder
* Administration of streetlight program and preparation of reports for CAO
* Assist in finalizing technical documents and sub-division files
* Implementing Public Works schedule, under direction of the Public Works Director
* Prepare monthly and yearly development reports
* Receive and prepare applications for road names
* Participate in job specific and organizational specific training as required
* Other reasonable duties as assigned by the Director of Development and Inspection and Director of Public Works
* Working at a desk
* Writing, computer use
* Dealing with the public
* High school diploma or equivalent
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
* Computer skills, particularly word processing and spreadsheet technology
* Experience with general office administration
* Graduation from Office Administration program considered an asset
Active Living Coordinator - Yarmouth Recreation
Yarmouth Recreation is dedicated to providing sport, recreation and leisure activities for all citizens of the Municipality of the District of Yarmouth & Town of Yarmouth.
Applications are now being accepted for the full time position of Active Living Coordinator.
Under the direction of the Director of Yarmouth Recreation, the Active Living Coordinator will be responsible for responding to the increasing diverse needs and opportunities available to our community surrounding physical activity and health and wellness. Working through the lens of reducing barriers, especially in underserved populations, and promoting fairness, the Active Living Coordinator will create strategies, opportunities, and initiatives that focus on increasing physical activity levels and unstructured opportunities for movement, along with policy recommendations.
The successful candidate will have a post- secondary degree or diploma in Recreation, Human Kinetics, Community Development, Health Education or a related field and a minimum of three years’ experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. The Active Living Coordinator will be skilled in community development work, have a capacity for understanding data and promising practices, have excellent communication, organizational and presentation skills.
In addition, the ideal candidate will thrive in a culture of collaboration, demonstrate a professional and positive attitude and embrace the principles of a safe, harassment free workplace.
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their résumé with a cover letter, in confidence to the undersigned no later than 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, October 20, 2021.
932 Highway #1
*Salary Range is $47,320 – $73,937
*A copy of the job description can be obtained upon request
We thank all applicants; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Municipality of Yarmouth
Public Works Department – Casual position
Do you enjoy working outside? Working with your hands? This job would be perfect for someone who is semi-retired and looking for extra employment hours! The Municipality of Yarmouth is looking to fill a casual position with the Public Works Department to work as a member of the Public Works team in ensuring the maintenance and operation of Municipal infrastructure. We are looking for someone who could be available year-round, and would be able to come to work on short notice. This would be to fill in for vacations, leave, etc.
Please note: we cannot guarantee a specific number of hours of work.
* Physically capable of performing grounds keeping related activities and various maintenance tasks (ability to lift heavy loads)
* Must be willing to work outside in all weather conditions;
* Ability to troubleshoot problems with mechanical and electrical systems
* Flexibility with work hours and availability to be on-call
* Ability to operate and maintain heavy equipment would be an asset
* Must have driver’s license
* Safety training would be an asset (for example first aid, confined space, etc.)
* Will be required to provide driving abstract and criminal background check prior to hiring.
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Should you wish to be considered for any future employment opportunities at the Municipality of Yarmouth, resumes will be held in our office files for a period of six months.
The Municipality of the District of Yarmouth is committed to a safe, diverse and inclusive workplace.
For more information on employment opportunities in this area, please go to the links below.