Lake Milo Active Transportation
Lake Milo Active Transportation Route
About the Project
A walking and cycling route along Lake Milo was first proposed more than 20 years ago, and again in 2010, as part of the Yarmouth Active Transportation Plan. Over the years the Lake Milo route has remained a community aspiration. Interest in active transportation (AT) continues to grow, funding opportunities have improved, and new practices in transportation planning have emerged. The time has come for an inspiring vision and a clear path forward.
The goal of this project is to identify a functional design for development of an AT route along Lake Milo. It will include a phased plan for implementation over the next 10 years. The project will also explore options for roadway crossings and connection with existing and future AT routes, including the Yarmouth District Rail Trail.
The future Lake Milo route must reflect the values of an active community, and take the needs of local landowners into consideration.
The initial phase of consultation took place over the late spring and involved targeted outreach with local landowners and other stakeholders in the project area to build awareness about the project and gather initial input. The feedback collected through the initial phase of consultation, in tandem with feedback collected from government partners, informed the design options for the Lake Milo AT Route.
The second phase of consultation is now underway and the public will have the opportunity to vote on a preferred option for the route. There are two design options to consider - with the primary difference between the two being that Option 1 has all AT users sharing a 4 meter wide multi-use pathway along the lakeshore, and Option 2 has cyclists using the paved road shoulder, while other AT users will share a 3 meter wide multi-use pathway along the lakeshore.
Share Your Thoughts on the Design Options:
There will be a few opportunities to share your thoughts with the design team:
- Online Public Presentation of the Design Options, followed by a Q+A - the design team will present the two options to the public and explain the details of each. There will be the opportunity for members of the public to ask questions at the end of the presentation.
October 4th at 6pm
Recorded Presentation: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VdoQvEcp1fIdgR-sqk4DySFpmkavXkkL/view?usp=sharing
- Public Survey - design options will be presented in a simple and straightforward manner, clearly showing how they differ from one another. This will be followed by a few short questions about your preferred option and the amenities you’d like to see included in the plan.
A link to the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LakeMilo
Survey will be open until the end of October
- Join a user group discussion:
- Do you like to boat, swim or fish on Lake Milo? Join a small group discussion of the design options on Tuesday, October 12th at 6pm. Click here to register.
- Do you like to walk, run or roll along Lake Milo? Join a small group discussion of the design options on Tuesday, October 12th at 7:30pm. Click here to register.
- Do you like to cycle along Lake Milo? Join a small group discussion of the design options on Wednesday, October 13th at 6pm. Click here to register.
Once a preferred design option is selected, the design team will move ahead with producing a comprehensive master plan for the Lake Milo Active Transportation Route.