The Municipality of the District of Yarmouth is looking to fill the position of Junior Finance Officer. This position will support the Director of Finance and the senior Finance Officer in the day to day activities of the finance department. The Junior Finance Officer position is intended to provide a supervised experience for full immersion into the accounting and bookkeeping functions of the Municipality over time. The Junior Finance Officer is responsible for assisting the Finance Officer with payroll, accounts receivable, accounts payable, filing and organizational duties. In addition, the position will perform account analysis, report preparation, and act as the municipality’s procurement officer. This is for an initial two year term.
We offer a competitive salary range and comprehensive benefits package. The Municipality of Yarmouth is committed to a safe, diverse and inclusive workplace.
Our ideal candidate for this role will have a minimum of 2 years’ previous experience in accounting and payroll administration functions using computer applications. A university or community college diploma or degree in a business administration program with a focus on accounting would be an asset.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
Assist the Finance Officer in:
* Accounts payable processing functions
* Accounts receivable processing functions
* Processing municipal invoices for non-tax revenue generating transactions
* Payroll administration, including payroll tax calculations & submissions, T4 preparation
* Preparing HST, Worker’s Compensation, pension and any other government reporting requirements that arise
* Assist Director of Finance in report preparation and financial analyses as required
* Assist in annual audit documentation preparation
* Act as the Municipality’s procurement officer by:
* Ensure the Municipality abides by the Municipal and Provincial procurement regulations
* Creating procurement documents as directed
* Receiving and cataloguing competition responses
* Ensuring procurement contract terms are met by vendors prior to release of payment
* Recommending procurement processes to achieve increased efficiency and effectiveness in municipal purchasing
* Participate in job specific and organizational specific training as required
* Other duties as assigned by the Director of Finance or the Finance Officer
Climate controlled desk environment
Regular interaction with colleagues
Communicating with external parties
Working on a computer and with various programs and applications
Some local travel required
Grade 12 academic or equivalent
University or Community college diploma or degree in a business administration program, (focus on accounting would be an asset)
Minimum 2 years’ experience in accounting and payroll administration functions using computer applications
Must be bondable
Applications must be received no later than 4:30p.m. Friday, July 24, 2020.
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.